Learning objective 8-2
Students will gain knowledge, skills, and experience to:
- plan, take to market, review and then refine an innovative, sustainable business activity; analyse the activity and its success in the market place.
What is an indicator?
- Establishes an ongoing relationship with a mentor.
- Demonstrates a can-do attitude.
- Develops strategies for meeting sustainability challenges.
- Analyses the contribution and effectiveness of group members.
This level 8 learning objective is explored within the context of a new or existing product from a suitable business connected to the student’s life and community and based on their talents, needs, and aspirations.
To read why using such contexts are good teaching practice, see the
Contexts will allow students to:
- develop a marketing plan
- carry out an innovative and sustainable business activity
- thoroughly develop a business pitch to highlight the innovative aspects of the activity and present the business case
- engage in consultation with specialist advisors in relation to the innovative, sustainable and ethical aspects of the business activity
- comprehensively evaluate the business activity against desired economic, social, cultural (including ethical) and environmental outcomes using an analytical tool such as the quadruple bottom line.
The emphasis is on experiential learning and builds on the business activities carried out at levels 6 and 7 of the curriculum and NCEA levels 1 and 2.
Learning activities will be carried out and evaluated in consultation with specialist advisors.
Modern business practice is often based around temporary project teams. This business activity could reflect this practice if teachers encourage students to select tasks based on individual strengths and interests, rather than assigning students to permanent roles. Examples of this are rotating leadership roles in meetings, when dealing with stakeholders and general tasks.
Learning objective 8-1
Innovative and sustainable business activity
Business knowledge, concepts, and content may include:
- innovation (originality, invention, commercialisation or improvement with reference to business formation, functions, people, management and environment)
- sustainability (economic, social, cultural (including ethical) and environmental outcomes)
- Māori business cultural values and priorities (if relevant and in appropriate contexts as part of the planning and review phases).
Learning objective 8-1
Business themes - level 8
Related Māori concepts
Māori concepts that relate to this achievement standard include:
Assessment for qualifications
Learning in relation to this learning objective can be assessed using the following achievement standards. Click on the number for explanatory information:
It is possible to combine AS3.6 with AS3.4, and AS3.7. However, teachers should be aware of potential high stakes involved in combining standards.
Achievement grades at level 3
Last updated July 11, 2012