Achievement objective S8-3
In a range of meaningful contexts, students will be engaged in thinking mathematically and statistically. They will solve problems and model situations that require them to:
- Evaluate a wide range of statistically based reports, including surveys and polls, experiments, and observational studies:
- A. critiquing causal-relationship claims
- B. interpreting margins of error.
A. Critiquing causal-relationship claims:
B. Interpreting margins of error:
The approach here is new to the statistics curriculum. It is based on making informed approximations or
rules of thumb to interpret reported
margins of error and is linked to
S8-3 links from S7-3.
What is new/changed?
- Critiquing causal-relationship claims.
- Interpreting margins of error.
- Use of a wide range of statistically based reports.
Possible context elaborations
CensusAtSchool is a valuable website for classroom activities and information for teachers on all things statistics.
- Colmar Brunton
- School should start later for year 13 students to better suit body clock! Report finds 15-year-olds are too young to drive! Texting improves spelling! Omega-3 improves your grades at school! Sleep deprivation caused by late night texting. Cellphones and texting cause more accidents while driving.
- Critiquing causal-relationship claims – this activity explores causal-relationship claims and suggests questions students could ask in evaluating and critiquing causal-relationship claims:
- Margin of error – this activity explores the use of margin of error in the media:
Assessment for qualifications
NCEA achievement standards at levels 1, 2 and 3 have been aligned to the New Zealand Curriculum. Please ensure that you are using the correct version of the standards by going to the
The NZQA subject-specific resources pages are very helpful. From there, you can find all the achievement standards and links to assessment resources, both internal and external.
The following achievement standard(s) could assess learning outcomes from this AO:
- AS91584 Mathematics and statistics 3.12 Evaluate statistically based reports; External, 4 credits.
Refer to the
mathematics and statistics matrix.
Last updated September 26, 2013