Assessment for qualifications: Level 6
The NCEA languages achievement standards at levels 1, 2, and 3 have been aligned with The New Zealand Curriculum. The registered standards are on the
languages matrix overarches all the languages achievement standards.
Each individual language standard at level 1 is registered with a
unique ID number.
Full information on the draft standards and the alignment process can be found on
TKI: Alignment of NCEA standards with The New Zealand Curriculum.
Level 1 AOs |
AS and AOs |
AS unique IDs |
NCEA level 1 achievement objectives
Five achievement standards can be used to assess languages learning at level 1. These are identified on the matrix, and reproduced in full below:
- 1.2 Give a spoken presentation in TARGET LANGUAGE that communicates a personal response; Internal, 4 credits (AS90869, AS90874, AS90879, AS90884, AS90894, AS90904, AS90909)
- 1.3 Interact using spoken TARGET LANGUAGE to communicate personal information, ideas and opinions in different situations; Internal, 5 credits (AS90870, AS90875, AS90880, AS90885, AS90895, AS90905, AS90910)
- 1.5 Write a variety of text types in TARGET LANGUAGE on areas of most immediate relevance; Internal, 5 credits (AS90872, AS90877, AS90882, AS90887, AS90897, AS90907, AS90912)
- 1.1 Demonstrate understanding of a variety of spoken TARGET LANGUAGE texts on areas of most immediate relevance; External, 5 credits (AS90868, AS90873, AS90878, AS90883, AS90893, AS90903, AS90908)
- 1.4 Demonstrate understanding of a variety of TARGET LANGUAGE texts on areas of most immediate relevance; External, 5 credits (AS90871, AS90876, AS90881, AS90886, AS90896, AS90906, AS90911)
Each individual language standard at level 1 is separately identified by its
unique ID number.
Achievement standards and achievement objectives
Learning languages has a single assessable achievement objective – communication – at each level. This is different from other learning areas or subjects, where learning is split into a number of achievement objectives that can be assessed individually or in combination. This means that each of the achievement standards assesses an aspect or aspects of the communication objective, not different objectives.
Achievement standards 1.3 (AS90870, AS90875, AS90880, AS90885, AS90895, AS90905, AS90910) and 1.5 (AS90872, AS90877, AS90882, AS90887, AS90897, AS90907, AS90912) are assessed on the basis of interactions and writing that take place over a lengthy period of time. Students record/collect examples of their interactions/writing and present these at the required time. Teachers need to make sure that their students understand this requirement, and the conditions, early on in the school year.
Level 1 achievement standards unique ID numbers
| Cook Islands Māori
The NZQA subject-specific resources pages are very helpful. From there, you can find all the achievement standards and links to assessment resources, both internal and external.
Last updated November 18, 2013